Improve English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improve English

English learners from all over the world

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sports

Go down 
+2
Tim
Seb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Seb
Admin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Sports   Sports EmptyFri 3 Mar à 10:42

What kind of sport do you practise ? Which club are you fan of ? What is the most popular sport in your country ? Share your sports experience.
Back to top Go down
https://improveenglish.forumotion.com
Tim

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2006-03-03

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports EmptyFri 3 Mar à 11:15

I support Liverpool FC, and football is the most popular sport where I come from. Like a lot of Liverpool people, I support the Republic of Ireland in the internationals, and we just had a very nice win against Sweden, even though we didn't manage to get to the World Cup this time around.

Football can be a great way to bring people together from around the world. I've been lucky that my club has been successful in Europe, and that has enabled us to meet with fans from all over the continent. I also like to watch football from other countries - our former manager, Gérard Houllier, is currently at Lyon, and is doing very well for them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.talkaboutielts.com
Lisandro

Lisandro

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-03-04

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports EmptySat 4 Mar à 1:17

Hello to all. First I would like to thank Tim for sharing his sports preferences with us.
Rugby is the sport I like the most. I started playing when I was 12 and I quitted when I was 19 (too young to quit!!!). Now, at 39, all that's left for me is to watch the game from outside the field Sad
Whenever I can, I go to see my nephews when they play. I think that, unlike tennis or basketball, rugby may be a little boring to watch for someone who has not played it.
I am a fan of Argentina's national team, the Pumas. Since rugby is an amateur sport here, almost all of the Pumas members play abroad, most of them in french or italian professional teams. In fact, almost half of Italy national team players were born in Argentina. There are also some who play in England clubs.
One of the games that I enjoyed the most was the match between New Zealand All Blacks, then and now the world's best team, and Argentina Pumas. It was in december 2001 and the venue was the River Plate Stadium, Argentina's biggest sports arena, crowded with near 60.000 people that afternoon. The game was really tight, with Argentina losing 24 to 20 after being above in the score until the very last minute.
Well, that's all for now. I look foward to reading about your favourite sports very soon. Saludos.
Back to top Go down
sebastien
Admin
sebastien

Number of posts : 46

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Rugby   Sports EmptyTue 7 Mar à 17:51

Hi everybody
In France this week, most newspapers compared Rugby and Football (soccer). Rugby got professionnal status for hardly ten years but a rugby match remained a great party around the stadium : with songs and friendship among fans of each team.
the stakes in football match are so important that it's not a party, on the field and between fans. It s usual now there are video tape in the stadium to have proof to ban a fan. Moreover, racism get involved int he stadium by fans who insulted black player comparing then to donkeys.
this debate is important because young football players do not respect anymore the referee (insults, threatenings..)
If Soccer is widely the most popular, officials are afraid that sponsors turns out to support more friendly sports. Companies look closely to the TV audience in order to know who they will support in the future.
So may be Rugby will become rather more popular. Rugbgy players try to get audience among women by editing a calendar where all the team was shown nude. It s a nice sport to watch and play and I hope that French team will win the world Cup next year. at least win the Brits.
I hope italian members will tell us about Football because there is a lot to say.
sebastien
Back to top Go down
http://chassibout.info
ivbel

ivbel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-03-15

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports EmptyWed 15 Mar à 23:20

By the way, football is very popular here in Russia as well. Yeah, i know, we don't have any real european team actually... maybe, CSKA can play football quite well, but if we're talking about european competitions, this team can take part only in UEFA CUP that these guys won last season Very Happy I hope they'll show us their best this autumn in the champions league, but this is a high level for this team at the moment... i don't expect them to show the great results, but who knows... i didn't expect Greece to win the european cup in 2004 Rolling Eyes ok, what do you think of russian football? Sebastian, i guess you like italian championship. Which team do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
sebastien
Admin
sebastien

Number of posts : 46

Sports Empty
PostSubject: foot ball   Sports EmptyThu 16 Mar à 1:38

Hi Ivbel
I lived 30 years in LYON so my foot ball team is l'Olympique Lyonnais who will have a great match this month in chp's league against AC MILAN
so i m not very fan of italian, for the moment of course ! I'm interesting in the Juventus team results.
Sébastien
Back to top Go down
http://chassibout.info
ivbel

ivbel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-03-15

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports EmptyFri 17 Mar à 23:54

Juventus is very "old" team... i mean these players are quite old and the football they play isn't an enthralling sight in my opinion... i guess Arsenal will win this game in the champions league. Sorry, i don't know a lot about french national championship, so i can't say anything about it No by the way, russian Zenit blew french Olympic from Marsel away yesterday in uefa cup Razz which team do you think is a favourite in the champions league? I bet Barselona is a champion! Wink
Back to top Go down
sara

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2006-03-12

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports EmptySun 16 Apr à 20:30

I can confirm that soccer is the most popular sport in Italy. Juventus is one of the most popular teams, with Inter and Milan i think. Since I don't care about the championship (I just got too bored), I can't tell much more about it. Rugby isn't popular quite at all, that's quite impossible to hear news about that on the tv.
Most italians follow also F1 (because of the Ferrari team) and MotoGP. Next ones are cycling, volley and basket (but a lot less than the other ones).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sports Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports   Sports Empty

Back to top Go down

Sports
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Improve English :: Hot topics-
Jump to: