Improve English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improve English

English learners from all over the world

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

APRIL is about ITALY

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sebastien
Admin
sebastien

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2006-03-01

APRIL is about ITALY Empty
PostSubject: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyWed 5 Apr à 1:17

APRIL is about ITALY : Roma, Venice, Palermo, Firenze, Vespa, Ferrari, Juventus di Torino, Gucci, Pizza, Spaghetti, Dolce Vita, Pisa Tower,
Back to top Go down
http://chassibout.info
Mayumi.K

Mayumi.K

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2006-03-10

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyWed 5 Apr à 18:22

It’s a joke. So it is disrespectful. Sorry about that. Wink

Someone is drowning in the sea. You can’t swim and ask a man to try to help the person.
The most effective way of saying to make him into action.
For an Englishman.
“You’re are a gentleman.”
For a German.
“It’s an order from above.”
For a Japanese.
“Everyone did so.”
For an Italian.

What do you think it is?
It goes, “The person is she.”

What do you Italians and all you guys think of it?

I think the Japanese one is true.
Back to top Go down
http://mayumik.seesaa.net/
farsooth

farsooth

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-03-11

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyWed 5 Apr à 21:54

Mayumi.K wrote:
It’s a joke. So it is disrespectful. Sorry about that. Wink

Hello Mayumi.K

I think truth should not be disrespectful Smile
It is in line with the long standing fame of the "Latin lover"! lol!

When I was living and working in Vimercate, near Milano they used to say, as a joke, that all Italian men had a lover but Italian women were faithful, since they were the sister, wife or mother of other Italian guy! Exclamation

I like this sense of family I found in most people over there. Family is the rock where society is founded and there are not many places in the world that can boast of strong family ties!

¬R.
Back to top Go down
http://ramonpenalva.bravehost.com
farsooth

farsooth

PostSubject: Verona   APRIL is about ITALY EmptySat 8 Apr à 6:19

Have any of you visited Verona?

The small(?) beautiful town in a loop of the Adige River, Romans took it near 300 B.C. from some almost unknown people, pre-Italic dwellers of the territory who go by the name of Euganei.

Nowadays the city is a wonderful place for tourism. Some years ago, I do not know if they keep the tradition but the odds are they do, the central piazza was covered with small stalls making the weekly "Fair", where everything was bartered. You could find from strong flavored "formaggio" to an opera's "partitura"!

Colorful dresses and a gala sense in the air during all day. Friendly people trying to help all foreigners, delighted if you could answer them with just three or four words in Italian, and mistaking anyone not American for a German since they were majority.

The "Arena" a vast coliseum is still used to the performance of opera. Here the three tenors had one of their best show in years.

We must not forget, of course, the balcony from where Juliet listened to the passionate voice of Romeo delivering his ardent declaration of love.

¬R
Back to top Go down
farsooth

farsooth

PostSubject: Venice, the Pearl of the Adriatic   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyTue 11 Apr à 5:36

Following the tracks towards the rising sun from Verona to Venice in train you alight in Venice Main Depot, if you are in an adventurous mind you can walk into the city.

In my experience this is a mysterious city, numberless alleys open to seedy corners, some of them dark enough not to see what is going on there, but you can hear weird sounds coming out. They say it is the sea...
Neutral

Most of the time you get into a "cul de sac" and must retrace your steps to find the main course but that is part of the game, I made this walk in full daylight, I wouldn't like to find myself in an unknown spot in the middle of the night. Nothing would have happened, it was a safe city. Only I am sure that, as you all know, witches do not exist, but that there are many of them, that's for sure! Shocked

When you arrive in Piazza San Marcos you know it was worth the effort, this is a wonderful place, from the terrace of St. Mark's Basilica or from the top of the tower of the Duce you can see almost all the city.

Then boarding a "vaporetti" (public transportation boat) you can visit most of the canals and several islands as Murano Island where there are many craftsmen working in fine figurines of glass and other marvels. These glass-blowers "maestri" (masters) are known all over the world for their skill.

Burano Island is the place to find beautiful laces, the wonderful mastery women have on "punto in aria" (stitching in the air), where lace is made with thin needles and threads and no fabric at all.

One pending subject for me is "Il Carnevale di Venezia" (Venice Carnival), I couldn't attend any of them yet, but it is in my agenda!

¬R.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-04-11

PostSubject: dolce vita   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyWed 12 Apr à 11:54

my name is Angiolo Cinti and how you can see easily is the first time that I
take part of a forum.
My English is not at the top but i hope to improve it with your help.
I leave in Rome and Rome is known to be the city of the DOLCE VITA.
Do you know the origin of word "paparazzi"?
I first thinked that the meaning was related with a father who runs at notice of his baby's birth (papa a razzo father as a rocket) but it isn't true. It was the name of a Calabrian hotel keeper who look like to photographer who works with Federico Fellini.
Back to top Go down
farsooth

farsooth

PostSubject: Re: dolce vita   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyWed 12 Apr à 18:39

masterslender wrote:
my name is Angiolo Cinti and how you can see easily is the first time that I
take part of a forum.
My English is not at the top but i hope to improve it with your help.
I leave in Rome and Rome is known to be the city of the DOLCE VITA.
Do you know the origin of word "paparazzi"?
I first thinked that the meaning was related with a father who runs at notice of his baby's birth (papa a razzo father as a rocket) but it isn't true. It was the name of a Calabrian hotel keeper who look like to photographer who works with Federico Fellini.

Hello Angiolo!

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Also I was, and sometimes are, worried about my English (I am only half native Laughing) but since a very good English friend of mine, who I was always asking him if I was using the language correctly said to me: Look, if I understand you, it is right. If I do not understand it it is wrong, I felt at ease! So, your English is very good.

You live in Rome, the Eternal City, how lucky of you! Not only because the DOLCE VITA Very Happy but because the beauty it has in its history and people. Please, tell us about your country and those things you like most.

Interesting the origin of the word paparazzi, I thought it was a dialect word meaning "mosquito", obviously because they are almost that! Evil or Very Mad

Thank you for your post!

¬R.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: dolce vita   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyThu 13 Apr à 13:16

Hi all group. Here Angiolo Cinti alias masterslender. This morning I want talk about Italy and Europe. Some time ago somebody quotes:
In Europe the heaven is:
an English policeman
a French cook
a German technician
an Italian lover
all organized by Swiss

the hell on the contrary is:
an English cook
a French technician
a German policeman
a Swiss lover
all organized by Italians
Can anyone add other entries?
Back to top Go down
Nuria

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyFri 14 Apr à 5:39

Hi everyone in the forum and welcome Masterslender!
I've been in Verona, Pisa, Florence, Rome and Venice... such wonderful cities... Just a short visit but I'll always remember them... When you're there you feel like you're a part of History.
is the traffic in Rome still that bad? I remember you had to be very careful to cross a street because they don't respect zebra crossings, and I also remember the Italian guys following us Spanish girls everywhere to flirt with us. I guess that goes with the "Latin lover" fame, but it's true!
Well, I just love your country and I'd come back anytime if I had a chance.
So lucky of you that you live there! The city of the Dolce Vita as you said, the "Sweet life", so similar to the Spanish way of life, all the time in the streets, and enjoying life without much stress... Aaaah it is so beautiful...
I was very impressed by the Coliseum, and of course the Vatican, but I also loved Venice and the other cities I visited. Verona is such a nice and tranquil town...you could picture Romeo and Juliet there...
Such a wonderful and beautiful country to visit. I'd encourage everyone to go there.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyFri 14 Apr à 18:14

I rewrite because the post isn't in the forum
It's Easter time and I wish a good day to everybody catholic or protestant.
I live in Rome (you can see my house with Google Earth, near Gianicolo hill)
and now there is many tourists in the streets. Rome was the 5th city of the world for number of visitors (Barcelona, New York, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Rome).
A book that increase that number was Dan Brown's "Angels and Devils".
A travel agency organized sightseeing tours (€ 75 each person) of the novel places. Fiction is believed real and tour operators swear that's all true.
What I think? There are as truths as people number plus one as Pirandello teaches. Bye
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptySat 15 Apr à 13:55

The icon of Italian painting is not "La Gioconda" by Leonardo da Vinci, but "L'Annunciata" by Antonello da Messina (1430-1469). He, like Dante Alighieri in poetry, invented the language of Italian painting. The picture is now in exhibition in Rome, but its location is Galleria Regionale Siciliana Palazzo Abatellis Palermo.
Sicily remembers me the dark side of Italy: the Mafia. Two days ago was taken Bernardo Provenzano a godfather, after 40 years period of hiding.
Despite sunshine, spaghetti, pizza, Gucci it isn't all plain sailing in Italy!.
Back to top Go down
farsooth

farsooth

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptySat 15 Apr à 22:40

From Venice we can retrace our steps into the Autovia Milano-Venezia to the west.

Between the cities of Verona and Brescia delimiting Lombardia and Veneto rests one of the more beautiful lakes of the country: il lago di Garda (lake of Garda).

The shore of the lake is dotted by a lot of small, wonderful tourist towns. All of them marked by special and unique landscapes that identify each one of them.

On the southwest coast lies Desenzano del Garda with several very good hotels and a small and cute marina. A mile and a half to the west is Rivoltella and a bit more to the west in a small peninsula that pierce the lake as a finger pointing to the north is Sirmione.

If you want to feel the beauty of the country at your fingertips just walk the two and a half miles that separated Desenzano from Rivoltella. Besides the landscape you will find some very cozy and lovely inns where you can rest if the need arises and get a glass of a good brandy: "Vecchia Romangna", Etichetta Nera - Black Label.

Sirmione is a case in itself. The city is behind a wall as cities in Middle Ages used to be, there is a moat to protect the premises towards the mainland side and a bridge to enter the city grounds. The rest is surrounded by the lake, the streets seem small clean alleys and lanes and all is prepared to receive tourists, it is very beautiful, you can watch a sunset over the lake and the hills from the battlements of the wall and listen to the muted shush-shush of the lake water on the lower part of the walls.

A good trip to take in a car or bus, as a farewell to the lake, is to go all around it visiting the small towns. This places full of marvel and beauty create an experience that will be never forgotten.

¬R.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyMon 17 Apr à 13:53

If it can go wrong it will go wrong and when it does it'll take down the greatest number of people with it!
Do you remember Murphy's law?
Center-Left won elections for few votes (of Italians abroad) an Center-Right contests.
Nobody likes to lose in Italy, in football, in love and now in politics too.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyFri 21 Apr à 20:20

Rome has many looks. There's the capital of an ancient empire with its ruins, from Colosseum to Domus Aurea, the stately residence that capricious Nero built on Oppio hill. Then there's medieval Rome with its narrow streets, baroque Rome with magnificent houses and enigmatic alchemists, modern Rome of Es Hotel and of San Lorenzo district, a new Soho with atelier inside an old factory of pasta.
Today (21st of April) is the anniversary of foundation (753 a.C.). Unfortunately at the root of the myth there was a fratricide.
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptySat 22 Apr à 16:33

Hi to everyone in the group!
Today I talk you about Italian food, not of great chefs, but popular foods of everyday life. If you were Italian, up from the bed in the morning you'd take a "cappuccino" (coffee with milk but with more coffee) with croissant.
For lunch you can have "risotto" (rice) or soup or "pastasciutta" (pasta with tomato sauce) with "parmigiano" (grated cheese).
Then you'd have fish and salad with white wine (verdicchio or vermentino but there are many others) or roasted meat with red wine (barolo, chianti, merlot).
In the past to drink wine was not a good habit in particular for women, but now is an upper class habit.
Can you describe a lunch of your country?
Back to top Go down
masterslender

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY EmptyTue 23 May à 19:36

hello to everyone in the forum
Are you all disappeared at same time? April was about Italy, what's the next country? I propose to talk about France or United States if you agree.
I'm waiting for your proposal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: APRIL is about ITALY   APRIL is about ITALY Empty

Back to top Go down

APRIL is about ITALY
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Improve English :: Country of the month-
Jump to: